What Makes a Good Administrative Assistant?
Your assistant will often be the first impression a client has of your entire business. Administrative assistants are expected to fulfill many duties for your company, and choosing the right person for this position is just as important as finding a persuasive sales crew or a creative advertising team. While sorting through and interviewing job candidates, keep the following important qualities in mind.
- Organization. Your assistant will be responsible for keeping all your notes, forms, schedules, and travel information well-organized and easily accessible.
- Ability to multi-task. Administrative assistants will often have several tasks competing for her attention. She will need to know how to prioritize the most important duties, and get everything finished in a timely manner. While she is juggling multiple tasks, she will also need to handle interruptions such as answering the phone or speaking with walk-in clients.
- Likeability. During the job interview, ask yourself if the candidate has a likeable personality. Customers calling your business will appreciate a friendly assistant, and an abrasive or bored tone will rarely lead to repeat business.
- Energy level. Everyone starts to get tired as the day runs on, but the administrative assistant must possess the energy to keep a smile on his face and a cheerful attitude as he greets clients or visitors.
- Professionalism. An unprofessional assistant can make the entire corporation appear inadequate. Choose a candidate who both appears and behaves in a professional, impressive manner.
- Computer literate. Today many administrative tasks are completed on a computer. Your assistant should understand the basics of common computer programs, such as Excel or Word.
- Time management. Most businesses move at a fast pace, and your assistant will need to keep up. If he’s constantly lagging behind on his responsibilities, it will create a negative ripple effect on the whole company. It won’t be long before the work in another department has stalled or a deadline is missed.
We can help make your hiring decision easier. If you are looking for a qualified and trained administrative assistant for your company, please visit us online or contact us at (877) 836-7527.